Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Friday, August 6, 2010

This has been such a fun week in Tabola! It was the first week back to school after the long winter break (June 8th.-August 2nd). The month I spent in the U.S.A. helped me to beat the coldest part of the year in Lesotho. Now, although the mornings and evenings are still quite chilly, the afternoons are sunny and pleasant…shirtsleeve or sweatshirt weather.
Thanks to the incredible donation of 308 pairs of brand new socks from friends of Audry and Fran, there are now a lot fewer cold toes in Leribe!








The children were thrilled with their likausi (socks, pronounced deekaoosee).





I also managed to bring back an “I love NY) tee shirt for each teacher in the three schools I service. The teachers have decided to wear their new shirts to the next sporting event, so I’ll try to catch an image during the games.
I also found out that each school will be going on a field trip in September!!!! Fun!!! Renekeng will be going to Taba Basio, the mountain which houses the ruins, gravesites and story of the founding of Lesotho by King Meshoeshoe I. I’ve already been there and am anxious to go back; I want to know as much as I can about this magical “Kingdom in the Sky”. Lepholisa (pronounced Laypodeesa) has decided that their trip will be to Khatse Dam; I haven’t seen this place yet, but here the scenery is magnificent. Mopeli (pronounced Mopedee) has not decided where their school trip will be…I’m hoping we go on some sort of safari…oh well, I can still dream.
My last bit of fun news is that the Steamboat Springs home school parents have decided to help build a library for one of my schools! I believe they’ve already begun fund raising and collecting new and gently used books. If anyone in the area wants to lend a hand with books or fund raising, I’m sure they’d welcome your help.
Tomorrow I shall take a young boy into Maputsoe to buy him a pair of shoes. Then I’ll meet some other volunteers later in the day to discuss a workshop we’re planning about teaching life skills (mainly H.I.V./A.I.D.s prevention and care).
I spent a lovely afternoon playing cards with Ntate and ‘M’e Ramoabi. I was the BIG loser…but it was still so much fun. We sat outside to play, allowing the spring sun to beat down on us…lovely. It’s truly wonderful to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment